A debt collector’s job is to collect unpaid debts. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is a federal law that protects consumers from abusive and deceptive practices. Debt collectors can call you, send bills, issue marks against your credit rating or sue you. They cannot harass, abuse, deceive or otherwise break the law in an attempt to collect on a debt. If you believe that you have suffered from creditor abuse or harassment, Slate Legal Group can help.
Creditor Harassment and the FDCPA
The Federal Trade Commission receives more complaints about the debt collection industry than any other industry. Common violations of the FDCPA include:
- Calling your employer
- Calling your family members, neighbors or friends
- Threatening to garnish your wages
- Threatening to have you imprisoned
- Threatening to have you evicted
- Threatening to sue you if there is no intent to start litigation
- Using obscene, threatening, harassing or abusive language
- Claiming to be an attorney when they are not
- Attempting to collect an invalid debt
- Calling at inappropriate times
- Continuing to call even after receiving written notice to stop contact
This is not a comprehensive list, and debt collectors can violate the FDCPA in a wide range of ways.
Dealing with Creditor Harassment
Harassment from creditors can have serious long-term ramifications for your emotional and financial health. Stress, anxiety, marital difficulties and bankruptcy are common when dealing with financial problems, but you don’t have to take it. Once you have an attorney on your side, the creditor harassment will stop. We can take action on your behalf and stop the harassment in its tracks. We can even manage all further communication with the creditors and can even help you manage your debt for a brighter financial future.
The law is on your side, and so are we. At Slate Legal Group, we will protect your rights and fight back against creditor harassment. Call our offices today to learn more about how violations of the FDCPA can affect you or schedule a free case evaluation with our team.